The Edge of the Abyss

The Edge of the Abyss
Depression is not a sign of weakness

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

A Walk through Little Havana on a Spring Day, or Heidi's Neighborhood Rap


I'm made my life in Miami's Little Havana neighborhood now for 13 years. Little Havana is beautiful and gritty. Tranquil and urban. Familiar and exotic. We're 50,000 of Miami's 392,000 residents. Ninety-three percent of us speak Spanish at the dinner table. Seventy-four percent are foreign born.



A Walk through Little Havana, on a Spring Day, or Heidi's Neighborhood Rap

Down the sidewalk at a gentle pace
Humidity surrounds like a lover's embrace
Bungalows and stucco and mission-style homes
Spanish spoken with the rhythm of poems
Grassy swales with trash pits and coconut palms
Fuschia bougainvillea and fire-red flamboyans
Little dogs defending turf, stray cats wary
Cut grass and peppery surinam cherry
Simmering chicken broth and picuala's apple scent
Neon-green lizard chased by strutting banty hen
Salsa and son and reggaeton
Cumbia, soca and bachata tones
To the window for a cortadito
Into the bodega, need a pastelito
Blue eyes give me away before I speak my gringa Spanish
But it's OK, I'm accepted -- no need to vanish
Girl at the counter says: "mi vida"
We just met but I'm her life, her senorita
After finishing my coffee, I'll be on my way
Just walking through Little Havana on a spring day.


No comments:

Post a Comment